Embarrass your parents in lockdown – 12 questions you should definitely ask
Let’s be honest, as kids most of us are pretty self-obsessed. We think the world revolves around us and many of us take our parents for granted.
But with us all spending more time with our families during lockdown, ask yourself this: how much do you really know about your parents? It might seem inevitable that they met and brought you into the world – but was it? Did they almost take very different paths in life, which could have meant never having you?
Even aside from that central question, what else don’t you know about them? You will have met them through a child’s eyes and may have got to know them better as adults, but what do you know about their lives before you were born?
We are all for getting curious and asking questions, here at My Story Told. And we think now is a great time to ask them a number of key questions – you might just find some extraordinary information or even embarrass them along the way!
So, whether you get together with a sibling or go it alone, whether your parents are together or apart, here are 12 things we recommend asking them now.
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- Do you think you chose the right career path? Do you have any regrets?
- Who was your best friend? Where are they now?
- What was the most rebellious thing you ever did as a teenager or young adult?
- How and where did you meet? What were your first impressions of each other?
- Describe key moments in your relationship: wedding, honeymoon, holidays?
- How did you come to have kids? Was it planned or a surprise?
- What was it like becoming a parent? What have been the best and worst experiences?
- How do you think you did as a parent? Did things go to plan? Was there a plan?
- What aspects of yourself do you see in your kids?
- Are you happy with your relationship with your kids? What would you change?
- Is there anything you want to ask me/us?